Wednesday, January 26, 2011

90% Knitting: Episode 1



And...ta-daaaa! The idea for a weekly knitting videocast has been percolating in my mind for a while, and this is my first attempt at making it happen. I beg your mercy for anything strange (including the hum in the audio...will work on that!). I'd love your feedback, as I hope to improve as I go, both technically and content-wise. :)

Show Notes:

Thanks to all of the knitting podcasters (both audio and video) who've come before me and been an inspiration for me to come and join the party. Special thanks to Laura and Leslie from The Knit Girllls and Carin from Round the Twist...your shows are highlights in my week and inspire and encourage me more than you will ever know! (And extra special thanks to Leslie for her technical assistance in getting this up on Blip!)

I said I'd link to my blog in the show notes. However, if you're watching the show, chances are you've already been to my blog, so duh! Still, here it is.

On the Needles: (links go to my Rav project pages)

  • I'm participating in the Year of Stash Socks group on Ravelry.
  • Little Girl Plain Vanilla Toe-Up Socks, Austerman Step yarn, generic toe-up pattern using Judy's Magic Cast-On and Wendy Johnson's gusset heel. (And yes, I realize my husband's cousin's daughter is not our niece...gah!)
  • Caldavos Cardigan, pattern by Thea Colman (Baby Cocktails), knit in Cascade 220. (And yes, I am good with the word things..."pattern writer"...really? I'm sure Thea would be thrilled to know I called her a "pattern writer"...desiiigggnnnerr. That's the word. Sigh.)
  • The all-white Haruni that I talked about but didn't show because it a gift that will be finished some time this year.

Finished Objects:

  • Year of Stash Socks January Plain Vanilla, my original Pair #1. Regia 4-ply, Kaffe Fassett colorway. (My Danskos that I knit them to knit!)
  • Pulpie and Val, made from my original design for a piece of orange juice pulp, that can do extra duty as a candy corn or water droplet. Pulpie was knit from Plymouth Encore worsted; Val was knit from Cascade 220 and Cascade 220 Superwash.

Spinning:


Designing:

  • Twisting & Twining Cowl, using Frog Tree Alpaca Sport, 130 yards (1 ball). I need a couple more test knitters before I publish this pattern, so leave a comment if you'd like to be one of them!

Oops:

  • Why yes, Virginia, Malabrigo Silky Merino DOES felt. Really well. Sigh. (What the Beret de Printemps used to look like.)

Books:

  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, by Ann Budd
  • Knitting Workshop, Elizabeth Zimmerman

10%:

  • It's the middle of a gray winter in Pittsburgh, it's snowing (again) today, so thank goodness I have my yarn basket of sunshine-y goodness! (And I mentioned the Cupcake Mittens that I haven't yet started.)
  • Lolita dress in progress. Go here to read about Lolita fashion.
  • The Steelers are going to the Superbowl in Dallas a week from Sunday! Woohoo!

13 comments:

Leslie said...

Yay more podcasters! Your lighting was really good and the audio was good aside from the humming. I love the matchy socks!

Stickchicky said...

Loved it! I hope you continue on. I am always saying I wish there were more video podcasts out there. You saved me from a night of boredom at work. Thankyou!

SarahBeez said...

I'm glad to see another knitting videocast- I really think you can never have too many!! I'm looking forward to the next episode :)

Liz said...

Great podcast. I look forward to the next one. I love that you added a little non-kitting content too.

Unknown said...

Loved your podcast!

knittingknirvana said...

Great podcast!!

I couldn't figure out what was going on with my sound until I went to comment and I scrolled down and saw it was your sheep munching away on grass!!! LOL!!!!

Lisa B. said...

Thanks, everyone! Your encouragement means a lot!!

And I didn't even think about my little sheepie and the fact that he makes noise! LOL I keep the sound off on that widget all the time, so I never hear him. Hm...I might need to remove him if he is going to interfere with listening to the podcast!

Anonymous said...

loved it - can't wait to see more :-)

Yarnivore said...

I know exactly what you mean about the knitting with white and black, love the colors hate knitting with them.

Denise Cole said...

I loved the first episode. I couldn't figure out the crunching noise and kept thinking the cats were into something... ha ha ha. I LOVE your knitting room, so warm and cheery. Can't wait for more episodes

Anonymous said...

I just got done watching the first episode and I'm definitely looking forward to more. :) BTW, I'm HeatherWB on Ravelry and Plurk. :)

Unknown said...

Great podcast!! Loved watching you, very interesting! Look forward to future episodes!!

Lisa Marie said...

Love the videocast! Also, had to mention I think your haircut is awesome!