Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pattern: Call Before Digging Hat


Green CBD hat made from Queensland Collection Kathmandu DK


One of my goals for 2009 was to do more designing. I often design on the fly as I'm knitting, but it's the actual writing-it-down-for-a-pattern part that I have a hard time getting to! However, I do have a few that I've been working on, and this is the first of them.


Tan CBD hat made from Three Irish Girls Springvale Super Merino

Design ideas come about in strange ways. For instance, here where I live, signs abound near the location of underground utilities warning homeowners to "Call before digging!" lest they inadvertently dig up a gas line, water pipe or utility cable. Introducing the Call Before Digging hat, which features one cable that is buried in a ground of ribbing. Around the hat you go, and then suddenly, there is the cable!


This is a good pattern for newer knitters wanting to push their skills beyond straight knitting and purling. It is written to comfortably stretch and fit a 22" circumference head, but it is easily customized by adding or subtracting K2, P2 ribbing segments.

The pattern uses approximately 150 yards of DK weight or light worsted weight yarn and is knit in the round on 16" US7 circular needles.

Call Before Digging is available for purchase for $3.00 as a Ravelry download through the pattern page on Ravelry or by using the button below. (You do not need to be a Ravelry member to purchase the pattern through my Ravelry shop using this button.)

$3.00



1 comment:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Cute hat! I agree, writing it down is the hard part of designing. Especially writing down notes so if you're making two of something, they come out the same.