Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox...


Happy first day of fall! Do you love this season as much as I do? It is my favorite season. It makes me very, very happy. And the fact that the trees have already begun to turn and it's been cooler than the usual September just makes me giddy. The fact that it's raining today can't even dampen my spirits. Fall is here. :)

One of my favorite things about fall? The light. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it. Light takes on different qualities in the fall. It's warm and golden, more subdued than the bright intensity of summer sun. The angle of the light is different, too. There are certain places in my house where sunbeams fall across the floor in  a way that only happens during autumn. And as the earth's angle changes, causing sunrise to happen later and sunset to happen earlier, the light and shadows in our yard are different than they appear any other time of year. They are comforting to me, these autumnal qualities of the light. They make me feel content, like all is as it should be in my little corner of the world. 

The photo above will be featured on the Variations on a Theme photoblog tomorrow. This week's theme is "Mornings," and I took this photo in an effort to try and capture the unique angle of the sunlight as it fell across our front yard yesterday morning. Please visit VoaT and check out the other photos we've been sharing!

No comments: