Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On the needles, off the needles...

...there's been knitting happening here.

First, finished the back of my Cosima.


I forgot how much I hate having to do decreases within a lace pattern (as experienced first in my mom's Hey, Teach! last summer...gah!), and having to do so required me to tink back several times when I screwed up the chart after decreasing. But it turned out looking pretty nice. The extra six stitches I ended up with on the one shoulder? Yeah. I'm ignoring them and am choosing to be in a state of blissful denial that they will cause me problems later. Please do not try and tell me otherwise. Thanks.

I'd love to have this finished in time to take with me to St. Louis in April...but will it be too hot in St. Louis in April to wear wool? I have no idea.

I do have one front to Cosima started, but I've come down with a case of knitter's ADD, getting sidetracked by some other things. First, a baby gift for our neighbor's new baby...

Two pair of baby socks. The pair on the left will fit the child when he is maybe a year old? Heh. At least that's how big they look, despite the fact that I made them roughly to the dimensions of a supposed 3-month-old baby's foot. Thus, I made a second pair, casting on 28 stitches instead of 40. Not sure how well they'll fit either, but hey...it's the thought that counts, right? (And the Dropkick Murphys CD is apropos of nothing...not part of the gift...it was just sitting there, so I used it to help illustrate the sock sizes. And because I love the Dropkick Murphys.)

One thing about baby socks...they take, like, NO time and virtually NO yarn to make. Great for sock yarn leftovers (which didn't dawn on me until I made the first pair using a brand new skein of Harry Potter Opal, the Harry and Ron colorway. Duh. Still have plenty to make a full sized pair with it, though. :})

Finished another afghan swap square...


Can I tell you how big a fan I am becoming of the mitred square? They are so much fun to make, they go fairly quickly, and this one, in Noro Silk Garden, was amazingly fun to watch emerge in its various colors.

Lastly, another KAL with the Loopy Spring Fling group on Ravelry. This month the theme is doing a Cookie A. pattern. Almost all of her patterns are sock patterns, and seeing as I'm still working on my second blackberry jam sock, and I have yet to finish my second Socktoberfest sock, and I just did those baby socks, I didn't think I wanted to add more socks to my life just now, so I wasn't going to participate. But...


I've never made a pair of Cookie's Monkey socks, and I feel like I'm probably one of the only knitters in the world who hasn't (kind of like the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket, which I've also never done), and I've had this gorgeous hank of Rio de la Plata multi-colored yarn in my sock yarn stash for a while now and I've been dying to use it. Dude. Check out those colors! I'm only a few rows in on the twisted rib cuff, but...dude! The colors! They are awesome! The picture doesn't do them justice, really (not to mention the actual knitted bit is blurry...just look at the ball...bask in it's prettiness). I cannot wait to see how the sock looks once I get into the actual patterned part of it.

:::happy sigh:::

1 comment:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Busy busy busy!

Let's see: I've never knit the Monkeys yet, either. I have knit the BSJ, but never seamed it up. I think that counts as not having really done it, because my pick ups on the angle weren't pretty.

I love mitered squares. Mindless. Great afghan squares, wash cloths, whatever!

My Hey Teach is all knit and languishing in a bag, waiting for seams. Been that way for a month...

Cosima looks pretty!