Monday, July 7, 2008

I'm in love Matthew the Comcast guy and want to have his babies...

That might seem a little extreme, but here's the story...

In my post from yesterday, I mentioned how my desktop had quit talking to the Internet. Our other two computers connected just fine, so it really wasn't a Comcast problem, but after neither the hub or myself could figure out what was causing the problem, I opted to call Comcast to see if they could give me any ideas.

I called, around 8:30 on a Sunday night. And here's where it gets so magical: 

1. I got a person on the phone for whom English was his first language and I could fully understand what he was saying to me.

2. Despite the fact that he quickly deduced it was not a Comcast service issue, he walked me through several other things to check to try and deduce what the problem was, even though this was above and beyond what he really needed to do.

3. He had a great personality, a good sense of humor and seemed to actually know what the hell he was talking about.

4. Even though he could not, in the end, diagnose my problem 100%, he did point me in the direction of what he was 99% sure it probably was -- my Norton antivirus program.

5. After getting off the phone and uninstalling Norton, I could get to the Internet, no problem-o, therefore Matthew's hunch was RIGHT!

So, let me recap: I called a customer service number, got a person who SPOKE ENGLISH and KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT, he was PLEASANT, and he was WILLING TO TAKE THE TIME TO DO SOMETHING HE WASN'T REQUIRED TO DO to help me. AND HE WAS RIGHT.

I don't know about you, but I've had some really suck-ass interactions with customer service people in recent years, half of them reading from a script in semi-broken English, and if that doesn't work for you, sorry, we can't help you. (In defense of outsourced customer service people, I did have a most delightful conversation a couple years ago with a person working for HP who was based in Bangladesh...he too solved my problem, but that cost me $20 an hour.) Considering that, perhaps you can see why I am so freakin' enamored with Matthew the Comcast guy...enough that I'd undergo tubal ligation reversal surgery in order to bear his offspring just to show him my undying gratitude.

1 comment:

Heather said...

In response to item #1 - WAHOOO!!! I can totally see where you'd want to have this man's offspring! What a delightful bunch they'd be!! Congrats!

:O)