Thursday, May 15, 2008

Refrigerator magnets...

I don't know why, but growing up, my parents never had any magnets on their refrigerator. When I was old enough to have an opinion about this, I'd suggest getting some, but I think I was probably a young adult before they finally acquiesced. Perhaps it is because of this deprived childhood of mine (magnetically-speaking) that I am somewhat fond of refrigerator magnets. It's not like I officially collect them or anything, but I do enjoy me some fridge magnetization. And because I know that some of you are probably like me -- not with regard to magnets, but with regard to the little thrill your inner voyeur gets out of glimpses of a stranger's private space...:::crickets:::...wait, it isn't just me, is it??...nevermind... -- ahem, anyway, I thought I'd give all three of you readers a little visual tour of the outside of my refrigerator. (And for you, the one reader who has seen my fridge up close and personal-like, humor me and act like this is really exciting, ok?)

This magnet is what sparked the idea for this wonderful little photo-blog entry...

Crazy Aunt Purl had a post today about how she loves daydreaming about vacation destinations. I thought, "So do I!" But then I love fantasizing about just about anything (minds out of the gutter, people!) because it's an exercise in creativity and because fantasy life is usually way more exciting than real life (well, except for the knitting) and because I'm fairly easily amused. Anyway, I found this magnet at a little shop called Out of Hand near my mom's house in Fernandina Beach...they've got great kitchy stuff there (they don't seem to have a web site, though). When I saw this magnet, I was tickled because, oh my gosh, it just speaks of me. Really. In so, so many ways. ;)

Other magnets on my fridge also speak to vacation-y destiations, some I've been to, such as...

a crab I think we got in Chincoteague, VA one year, and...


...a set of three wooden fishies we got when we stayed on the Outer Banks in Salvo, NC (the BEST beach vacation EVER...oceanfront rental house...totally awesome). Then there is this one...

Hawaii...where I've not been, but some day may go since my sister-in-law is from there. We'll see.

Then there are the nostalgic magnets from my oldest's childhood...


Seriously, I used that top one for things up through high school. They don't get used for much stuff related to him right now (the top one is currently holding up a great recipe for granola; though the bottom one currently has the boy's outdated address from when he was in bootcamp.) Now that he's in the Marines...

...he doesn't bring home papers, but believe you me, if the Marines send me something of his, I'll sure hang it up using one of his name magnets! LOL

Then there is the motivational magnet...

(also purchased at the same store as the Fantasyland one) ... and the utilitarian magnets...

...the metal clip...my grandmother had these and they hung on the side of her stove and held up her pot holders, and I loved to play with them as a kid. I was so excited (more than I should have been, considering we're talking about magnets here) to find these as an adult and put them on my own kitchen appliances!

...the magnet the phone number for our favorite pizza place (which I've blurred the location info out on to maintain the privacy of those who eat too much pizza)...

...the magnetized grocery list pad...I am not weird, really, because I write my lists from the bottom up. I do that on purpose so that if I don't have a whole page of groceries, I can just tear off the bottom part and still use the top part for the next list. See...very environmental of me...right? ;)

...and the magnetized message board, which I cannot tell you how great this has been. I used it all school year to put the kids' daily assignments on, and I use it at night to list any chores I want them to do in the mornings. Right now, it's just got a list I've written for me (can't get out of that bottom-up mentality with my own lists...not sure why).

And last but not least, the FUN magnets, which I bought for our grandson as the ones I had for our kids when they were little have long since vanished. (Maybe the ghosty took them?) This particular set of letters actually spells out my grandson's first and last name...can you figure them out? LOL Looking at them, I see they also spell out our temporary dog's nickname (not the one I referred to him as in yesterday's post, but his real nickname).

So, there you have it...a tour of our fridge magnets. There are several more, but they are mostly boring, everyday ones, promotions and stuff for doctor's offices and organizations. Nothing exciting. (Like these other ones were SO exhilarating...gawd, I so need a life, don't I?)

Oh, but one last thing, not from the world of magnets, but from the world of If You Wait Long Enough, It Will Show Up Again...

...the charger cord for my little Sony digital camera! It's been missing for over a YEAR! And finally, FINALLY, it showed up this week, when I decided to clean out this little basket that has been sitting in the corner of my bedroom full of odds and ends that I thought were all meant for Goodwill. But no! There was my camera cord! This makes me so happy! I love my big camera, but sometimes the little point-and-shoot is all I really need, you know? Like for taking pictures of idiotic fun things like refrigerator magnets for my blog.... :}

No comments: